Monday, April 21, 2008

Finishing up the "Quilt" for BJP


I have stitched together my "quilt" of blocks in four rows of three, using strips of fabric. I chose a very dark green pant-weight fabric. I made the fabric into tubes, and turned them so there are no raw edges on the lattice fabric and it is double for strength. I will add a wider piece on the outside edges using the same formula. This I will put over a painter's canvas already stretched onto a wooden frame. I am thinking at this point that I will pad it with a layer of batting to soften the look, then stitch through at strategic places stretching it as I go, and finally stapling the borders to the wood on the back. That is my short term solution, but I think that I will finally use an actual frame on it. That remains to be seen, both in terms of finances and artistry. I may like it just fine with a wider border of the green, and not need it framed.... I am, after all, firstly a quilter! LOL!

9 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

It looks wonderful...the visual impact of all of them together is amazing!

abeadlady said...

I can't wait to see it all together. What a pleasure it would be to see that hanging on a wall.

Arline

Julie said...

What a great way to display them all at once. It shows them off and all the colors together are beautiful. Thanks for showing your idea for finishing. I cant believe you are done already. Julie C

Julie said...

What a great way to show all of them off at once. They look beautiful. Thanks for showing your finishing idea. Julie C

a2susan said...

Did you ever, when you first started, think you would have this beautiful quilt in the end? I am so envious of your quilting skills and knowing how to finish off your pieces. Give me a bead and I can do something, but a whole piece...that's going to be my challenge for next year.

Let us see the final quilt when you're done.

a2susan said...

I hope you show us the final quilt. I can't wait to see it. I am envious of your quilting and sewing skills. I can bead, but don't know anything about finishing off my pieces. That's going to be my challenge for next year, studying and planning over the summer.

KV said...

Well, Madam Quilter, this is a beautiful way to exhibit your handsome beaded posies!


Kathy V in NM

Timaree said...

I think this is a great way to show off your pages. Using a large canvas for support is a good idea.

Timaree said...

I saw on the main BJP blog that you plan to do puzzle pieces for next year. That is what I have planned also. Mine will not have picot edging and I plan to cover the whole 3" piece with beads and hopefully will end up with a self portrait of sorts. Like you, I am hoping they fit together in the end.