Friday, April 4, 2008

April and finishing ideas!


Another month has passed and I have finished April already! I am really pleased with the lightness and playfulness of the rhododendron flower for this month. It was fun to outline each petal with stacks of different combinations of beads. The whole time I was doing that, I kept plotting as to how to make those stamens stand up. I knew I wanted them three dimensional, but was aware that the nymo thread wasn't stiff enough to make them do what I wanted. I considered using clear finger nail polish to give them some rigidity, but was a little fearful of spilling on the fabric. I ended up using necklace wire so that the stamens would stand up. I threaded them onto the wire, through the pearl, then back down the holes of the first beads. After threading them through the fabric, I have pulled them tight so they have to stand up!

I am now preparing to assemble my pages. I am planning to do a "quilt" that will be stretched around a foam core base to hang on the wall. I am now preparing three dimensional leaves to identify the month that each block represents. I'm thinking at this point that I will be using a layer of batting to soften it as it wraps around the board..... now will foam core be strong enough to stretch around and hold it? I am hoping so, because another part of my plan is to make little dangles to hang on some of the intersections of the lattice. These will be sewn through the foam core board and will be anchored on the back with a button or a stick to keep them from pulling too hard. To enhance my "floral arrangement" I am going to use a dark fabric for the lattice so that the blocks themselves are separated and framed. I will keep you posted about the progress on this part of the project. I am really excited to see all of my blocks come together to make one piece.

1 comment:

abeadlady said...

That is one of my favorites of yours. Good idea about the wire. Looks super.

Arline