Sunday, May 25, 2008

Twelve Months and a Puzzle!


Here is my Bead Journal Project from 2007-2008.  I am really pleased with the way it looks all together.  I am  happy with the leaves that I made for each month.  Each month is labeled with the name of the month on a photo of a real leaf printed on fabric the same way I printed the flowers.  All the photos were my own images and printed on fabric treated to accept the ink from my inkjet printer.  The images are really finely focused, and give good definition.  The fabric comes pre-adhered to paper to help it run through the printer smoothly and easily. I left the paper on the fabric so that it would be stabilized as we usually do for bead embroidery.  







I had decided to use 12 puzzle pieces for next year's BJP. I kept thinking about it and wondering about how that would work.... how much did I need to cut away to have the picot edge fit? So, I decided to try out the project by doing a little puzzle with only four pieces. Here is the fabric just adhered to the Timtex and ready to trim and bead. It has been enlightening and fun!  The picot edge worked out ok, but I found that I had overestimated and cut away too
much. I also was using  Timtex for the first time for my backing. It is interesting, but I'm not sure it's a "fit" for me. So, I have almost finished my 4 piece puzzle. I think I am "done" with puzzle pieces. Now I have to think of something else for next year.... hoping that "something" will come to me by September.











Here is my nearly finished puzzle. It's been fun to try out different stitches.... mostly using Robin's new book for inspiration and guidance.  I had so much fun planning each flower on the batik.  The one that most people find irresistible to touch is the periwinkle blue half shell petals.  It was fun to do, but the gold one was great to do with the herringbone "weave".  

12 comments:

vivage said...

Hooray for finishing! It looks really great. Congrats.

I like the puzzle format. Great idea to try it out.

I'm using Timtex for the first time and I'm not liking it for embroidery. It's a great stiffener but I'm hating sewing thru it. I know some people like it but so far, I'm giving it a thumbs down for my purposes.

beadbabe49 said...

Your 12 months look absolutely perfect and your puzzle pieces are awesome!
(if you don't like the timtex, try the peltex...the one without any heat bond on it is pretty easy to work on.)

abeadlady said...

Your quilt is GORGEOUS! I liked each of your flowers, but together it is stunning.

Love what you did with the puzzle. Very clever.
Arline

pam T said...

Your completed BJP is absolutely stunning! And absolutely love your puzzle pieces!!!! You were incredibly smart to try out that idea ahead of time, rather than start right in with it for the next BJP...

Brenda said...

Cool! puzzle pieces!

Plus of course your quilt is phenomenal.

Dee D said...

Fantastic!

KV said...

The quilt is gorgeous! I hope you don't give up on that puzzle format because it is terrific, too.

Haven't used Timtex but use Peltex all the time myself. Perhaps if you experiment with different edgings on those puzzle pieces they might fit more to your liking?


Kathy V in NM

Mountain Salt Studio said...

WOW! The quilt is incredible!

heidibeads said...

I love your flower quilt! It's awesome. Neat idea with the puzzle pieces, too! Nicely done.

I love peltex like beadbabe49 said. The kind without the sticky stuff, it comes with it on one side or both sides or no side. It's a nice backing. I've just started using the leave in paper and I'm enjoying that, too.

I'm looking forward to next year's adventure. Wonder what you'll come up with.

Robin said...

Your finished quilt is stunning indeed! I am so fortunate that I'll get to see it in person, and touch all that beautiful texture too! Great job, Krispi!

Oh, and by the way, I agree with Pam T about your cleverness ;>}

Robin A.

Winter Wanderings said...

Wow, I was thinking of doing puzzle pieces too -- or some different sort of shape. Perhaps I'll keep it simple and do a square or a circle. Or do puzzle pieces?

Your work is wonderful, both the completed BJP for 2007 (I've got 2 months to go still) and the 4 piece puzzle. One question: what have you used for your stabilizer? I've used Peltex and recently tried plain old craft felt. I am liking the felt a lot, as the hand stays soft and flexible.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for 2008 as your work is simply beadilicious!

Timaree said...

I finally realized the puzzle piece idea wasn't going to work for me either. I didn't want the pieces to not fit together. Maybe if I stuck with squares but that didn't sound like much fun. So, I am just doing 1/2 size ATC's using the color wheel for my theme. Hope you decide soon - it's almost September.