Thursday, July 26, 2007

LATE JULY ALREADY????






Well, it's been a while since I've written, and much else has happened. I am nearly finished with my June page..... it still needs some yellow beads in the center, but the white daisy is done... it was fun to create textures on each petal. I spent much of the month working on the photos from my friend's wedding, so it is appropriate that it is a white wedding flower!

I decided to use photos of flowers that I had printed on fabric run through my own ink jet printer. The fabric that I buy is already adhered to a piece of paper which I leave on as stabilizer. I am really pleased with the process. Since I'm working so large, it's harder to get my hand around the paper, but it smooshes up pretty well.
The center of a daisy already looks like it's beaded, so that has me somewhat stumped. I think I am going to use beads in a star shape and then fill in, using graduated sizes. We'll see what the beads tell me to do!
And my July page is more than half done..... it's also a flower, but this time it's an iris. The center was pretty difficult and I used 15's so it went pretty slowly. But now I am doing the petals and using 10's and 8's so it is filling in faster. I am really pleased with the look so far.
My idea for the "finished product" is to make a wall quilt of these flowers. We'll see.... they may need to be in an album for a while, but eventually, they will probably be in a wall quilt.
Can't figure out how to move photos around in this blog, so they are all at the top.... sorry.
K

14 comments:

Lois2037 said...

These are beautiful. I really like how the beadwork works with the photographs.

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

WOW, these are fantastic -- what size are they?
Beautiful color blending -- super beading.

Beadin' Gram
Jackie/IL

KV said...

So nicely done -- the daisy is beautiful and that iris is going to be gorgeous when it is finished.

I am also working on both June and July at the same time here -- amazing how life interferes with our projects, right?

Kathy V in NM

Angela said...

I love what you are doing, I am using photos as well and it is interesting what challenges they present. You are doing a wonderful job, I love flowers as well and iris are some of my favorites.

Keep up the good work. Angie

Robin said...

Ooooh! The photos look stunning! Of course, I'm a lucky one who has seen these pieces in person...Beadin'Gram is right... beautiful color blending! Both June and July have a dramatic appeal, much more dramatic than the photo alone. Aren't beads just wonderful?!

I'll show/tell you how to move photos some time if you like...

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful work! Great idea to bead on flower photos. I am using a photo for part of this month's BJP, but hadn't thought of leaving the paper on the back. I will keep your idea in mind and see if that would work for me. Thanks for posting!

Brenda said...

What can I say that hasn't already been said?
I agree with all of the above!

Quilt Architect said...

What a great theme for your pages! The Iris has so much detail that brings you into the center. Reminds me of O'Keefe's paintings. Have you read about her? She is quite inspiring and you might enjoy reading or as I did listening to a biography about her. I love to listen to books on tape while I do needle work.
Lovely

Lillian said...

Hi Krispi,

Love what you've done with your photos and the beads! I love flowers and landscapes also, so they really brought a smile to my face :o) I'm in Federal Way, WA. Where in WA are you? Thanks for sharing, Lillian

Timaree said...

Very nice. My daughter loves daisies; I'm sure she'd love yours. They look so refreshing.

Artifax said...

These are so beautiful! The beading is so fine and subtle and gives the flowers such a lovely crystalline feel!

ACey said...

LOVE the daisy! So inspiring as well as beautiful on so many levels.

Joanna said...

Wow, I love this one!!

KrispiS said...

Hi there all!
The pieces are 6x6 finished.... so all the picture you see is a little bigger.
Thanks for all the praise... Georgia O'Keefe!??? WOW! I love her stuff..... I guess the close-up vision of this gives that impression.
I live in Friday Harbor, WA..... on San Juan Island. Robin is a pal of mine here. I am blessed to have her near!